“One of the most dynamic, ruggedly powerful live acts in modern roots music.” —Boston Herald
The Oxford American magazine is excited to welcome Catherine Russell to Little Rock! This is the third show in their 2017-18 Jazz Series. Doors open at 6:00 PM, with dinner and drinks available for purchase at that time. The series is made possible in part by presenting sponsor UCA College of Fine Arts & Communication.
Vocalist Catherine Russell is a native New Yorker, born into musical royalty. Her father, the late Luis Russell, was a legendary pianist/composer/bandleader, as well as Louis Armstrong’s long-time musical director. Her mother, Carline Ray, was a pioneering vocalist/guitarist/bassist who performed with International Sweethearts of Rhythm, Mary Lou Williams, and Sy Oliver. Catherine’s professional life began early. After graduating with honors from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, she embarked upon musical adventures with Carrie Smith, Steely Dan, David Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, Paul Simon, Jackson Browne, Michael Feinstein, Levon Helm, and Rosanne Cash, among others, touring the world and appearing on over two-hundred albums.
Her 2006 debut album Cat, (World Village/Harmonia Mundi), garnered rave reviews, paving the way for her 2008 sophomore release, Sentimental Streak. Catherine was a guest on Late Night with Conan O’Brien, PBS-TV’s Tavis Smiley Show, and NPR’s Fresh Air, Piano Jazz, Mountain Stage, World Café, and JazzSet. She has won a prestigious German Record Critics’ Award and a Living Blues magazine’s critics’ poll. Catherine Russell’s third album, Inside This Heart of Mine, reached #1 on JazzWeek and Roots Music Report’s radio charts, while also charting on Billboard and reaching #1 on i-Tunes jazz charts. A fourth album, Strictly Romancin’ was released in February 2012, and was awarded Prix du Jazz Vocal (Vocal Album of The Year) by the French Jazz Academy, Grand Prix du Hot Club de France, and a Bistro Award for Outstanding Recording. Also in 2012, Catherine Russell won a GRAMMY Award as a featured artist on the soundtrack album for the HBO-TV series, Boardwalk Empire.
In 2013, Catherine contributed three songs to the soundtrack of the film, Kill Your Darlings. Her fifth solo album, Bring It Back, was released worldwide in February of 2014 on the Jazz Village label, receiving a 5-Star Review in Downbeat Magazine. In September 2016, Catherine Russell released her sixth solo album, titled Harlem On My Mind, featuring songs from the Great African American Songbook.
With universal acclaim, Catherine Russell has performed on four continents. She’s been a hit at major Jazz Festivals including Monterey, Newport, North Sea, JazzAscona, Montreal, Bern, Rochester International, Panama, and Tanglewood, and at sold out venues like The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., Scullers in Boston, The Dakota in Minneapolis, Jazz at Lincoln Center in NYC, SFJazz in San Francisco, and Pasadena Pops in Los Angeles. All Music Guide says, “Russell emerged as a retro old school vocalist for the ages.”
Her repertoire features a selection of gems from the 1920s through the present; vital interpretations, bursting with soul and humor. With an off-the-beaten-path song selection, sparkling acoustic swing, and a stunning vocal approach, Catherine Russell has joined the ranks of the greatest interpreters and performers of American Popular Song.
February 1, 2018 - 8:00 PM
$48 = Premium Reserved Table
$46 = Reserved Table
$30 = General Admission
TICKET PRICE SERVICE CHARGE TOTAL PER TICKET $48.00 $5.75 $53.75 $46.00 $5.50 $51.50 $30.00 $3.50 $33.50
- Becoming a subscriber guarantees the same table for every performance in the series.
- Doors open 2 hours prior to each show.
- Tickets are available for pickup only on the night of the show when doors open.
- The venue does not have an on-site box office. Tickets are only sold via Metrotix, or, on the night of the show when the doors open (if tickets remain.)
- Buying a reserved or premium reserved ticket guarantees you that specific seat. Seating at tables and countertops is "family style." If you do not purchase all the seats at your table, you will be seated with other patrons.
- General Admission Ticketholders - You may sit at stools at the bar, perimeter chairs not at tables, or you may stand. You are not guaranteed a seat, as seating is limited and only available first-come-first-seated when the doors open. Once all General Admission chairs are taken, there will only be standing room for all other General Admission ticketholders.
- South on Main does not take reservations for ticketed concerts.
- Food is served before and throughout the concert.
- Shows are all ages. Everyone must have a ticket to attend.
- Free surface lot parking is available.
- Additional Info: http://southonmain.com/pages/faq-ticketing-seating/
METROTIX SALES END: Noon day of show
South on Main
1304 Main Street , Little Rock, Arkansas 72202