FILMS @ SLIFF.ZACK: TO KEEP THE LIGHT
U.S., 2015, 88 min.
Director - Erica Fae
In 1876 Maine, Abbie (writer-director Erica Fae) tends the lighthouse on a remote island for her ailing husband. When a mysterious stranger washes up on shore, secrets buried in deep waters come to light, and Abbie is forced to navigate an unforgiving new world and reckon with both her past and her future. Inspired by the true stories of women lighthouse keepers, “To Keep the Light” — which won the 2016 SLIFF New Filmmakers Forum Emerging Director Award — uses the composite character of Abbie to give voice to their largely unknown experience. Working in isolation and under extreme conditions, these women — who inherited their jobs from infirm or deceased husbands or fathers — were trailblazers, embodying feminism long before the word existed and far from the urban, intellectual circles that spawned the women's rights movement. Nuanced and true to her times, Abbie is a female lead rarely depicted on screen: strong and stoic, sensual but not sexualized. Shot on an island off the coast of northern Maine, “To Keep the Light” revealingly illuminates the tumultuous inner life of a woman who is, literally and figuratively, at the edge of society.
June 26, 2017 - 7:30 PM
TICKET PRICE SERVICE CHARGE TOTAL PER TICKET $13.00 - General Admission $2.00 $15.00
Students and Cinema St. Louis Members can purchase discounted tickets on site.
METROTIX SALES END:
Phone/Internet: 3 hours prior to show
Fox Box Office: 1 hour prior to show
The .ZACK box office opens 1 hour prior to show.
3224 Locust Street , St. Louis, Missouri 63103
The .ZACK is the Kranzberg Arts Foundation’s new four-story, 40,000-square foot property, developed in the historic Cadillac building at 3224 Locust St. housing:
- The .ZACK Theatre, a 202-seat proscenium-style theatre to be shared by .ZACK’s resident arts organizations as part of the .ZACK Performing Arts Incubator Program which also includes co-op office space, a community scene shop with separate build and paint rooms, and prop/set storage all located in the .ZACK building.
- A full-service catering company and restaurant, Turn by David Kirkland, owned/operated by award-winning local chef David Kirkland (formerly of Café Osage).
- The Urban Ballroom, a fourth-floor, private event space with full-service catering options by David Kirkland Catering. The Urban Ballroom features panoramic views of downtown St. Louis, a customizable layout, and in-house spa, perfect for any event up to 300 people.
- Second floor retail space, the future home of Sophie’s Lounge and Music Record Shop.
- Third floor commercial office space available for rent to a wide range of tenants
.ZACK brings synergy, access, and essential infrastructure for the performing arts community in St. Louis, and will be a venue in which patrons can have a dynamic, 360-degree experience. From theater fans to food and beverage lovers, and those looking to host special events, .ZACK will provide a world class experience for audiences from across the region.
The .ZACK is wheelchair accessible.