“There’s no doubt that Crowell was an architect of Americana as we know it, and with Close Ties, we’re fortunate to have a look at his blueprints.” —NPR Music
The Oxford American magazine is excited to welcome Rodney Crowell to the South on Main stage! This is the first show in their 2017-18 Concert Series, as well as the first concert of the Americana Series. Doors open at 6:00 PM, with dinner and drinks available for purchase at that time. The series is made possible in part by presenting sponsor Acura.
Texas-born and Nashville-based, Rodney Crowell has enjoyed a successful career in country and folk over the past four decades. Crowell’s 1988 album Diamonds & Dirt produced five consecutive No. 1 hits for country radio, and many of his compositions have been covered by such artists as Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Etta James, Tim McGraw, Van Morrison, and Waylon Jennings. He won his first GRAMMY for “After All this Time” for Best Country Song in 1989. In 2011, Vintage books published Crowell’s widely praised memoir, Chinaberry Sidewalks, a revealing narrative in which he reflects on his turbulent relationship with his parents and his formative years growing up in southeast Texas.
Crowell first played with Emmylou Harris in 1975 as the rhythm guitarist and harmony singer for her backing band, The Hot Band. Their forty-year friendship resulted in their collaboration, Old Yellow Moon, a GRAMMY-Award winning duet album recognized as 2013’s Americana Music Association Album of the Year, and which landed in the Top Ten of Amazon Customer Favorite Albums of 2013. American Songwriter selected it as one of the top 50 Albums of 2013, noting, “their lullaby-like ‘Dreaming My Dreams’...reminds us this silver-haired pair shares a dynamic—and an ageless friendship—that’s pure gold.”
Now there’s a new album, Close Ties, on which Crowell both demonstrates his strengths as a songwriter and illustrates how he has learned to balance personal recollection, literary sophistication, and his profound musical reach. It’s at once his most intimate record and his most accessible, the product of years of understanding the ways songs can enter—and be entered by—life. “It’s a loose concept album, you could say,” Crowell says. “And the concept is related to how you tell stories about yourself. Having a few years ago written a memoir, my sensibilities toward narrative—especially trying to find a common thread in different pieces of writing—had become a part of my songwriting process. One of the reasons I brought Kim Buie in as a producer is that I wanted her to work with me the way an editor works, to look at a number of songs and find the ones that worked together to create a tone.”
August 26, 2017 - 8:00 PM
$42 = Premium Reserved Table
$40 = Reserved Table
$30 = General Admission
GROUP DISCOUNT: Save 15% when you purchase 15 or more General Admission tickets! (Not valid on reserved table seating)
TICKET PRICE SERVICE CHARGE TOTAL PER TICKET $42.00 $5.00 $47.00 $40.00 $4.75 $44.75 $30.00 $3.50 $33.50
- Becoming a subscriber guarantees the same table for every performance in the series.
- Doors open 2 hours prior to each show.
- Tickets are available for pickup only on the night of the show when doors open.
- The venue does not have an on-site box office. Tickets are only sold via Metrotix, or, on the night of the show when the doors open (if tickets remain.)
- Buying a reserved or premium reserved ticket guarantees you that specific seat. Seating at tables and countertops is "family style." If you do not purchase all the seats at your table, you will be seated with other patrons.
- General Admission Ticketholders - You may sit at stools at the bar, perimeter chairs not at tables, or you may stand. You are not guaranteed a seat, as seating is limited and only available first-come-first-seated when the doors open. Once all General Admission chairs are taken, there will only be standing room for all other General Admission ticketholders.
- South on Main does not take reservations for ticketed concerts.
- Food is served before and throughout the concert.
- Shows are all ages. Everyone must have a ticket to attend.
- Free surface lot parking is available.
- Additional Info: http://southonmain.com/pages/faq-ticketing-seating/
METROTIX SALES END: Noon day of show
South on Main
1304 Main Street , Little Rock, Arkansas 72202