ARI AXELROD - A CELEBRATION OF JEWISH BROADWAY
Directed by Lina Koutrakos
Original Music Direction by Rick Jensen
Accompaniment by Larry Pry
Ari Axelrod returns to St. Louis in “A Celebration of Jewish Broadway” which honors the songs and stories of Jewish composers and their contributions to the American Musical. Beloved melodies and lyrics by the likes of Irving Berlin, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Schwartz, and Carole King will transport the audience back to the streets of the theatre district, your bubbie’s Shabbos table, or the places of your dreams.
Ari Axelrod's solo cabaret, "Taking the Wheel,” directed by Faith Prince and music directed by Alex Rybeck, has been performed in multiple cities including two sold-out performances at Feinstein's/54 Below in New York City. His theater credits include: Off-Broadway: Milk and Honey (Cantor/Sheep Boy) at The York Theatre Company. Regional: Spotlight Repertory Theatre: Fun Home (Roy). Weathervane Theatre: Last Five Years (Jamie), West Side Story (Riff), Hairspray (Corny Collins). Repertory Theatre of St. Louis: One Man Two Guvnors (Ensemble). He is also the founder and director of “Bridging the Gap”, a five-week master class series focused on bridging the gap between musical theatre and the intimate art of cabaret by honing the performer’s prior foundational training while stripping away the expectations of auditioning and getting in touch with your most authentic self.
"Throughout this performance, I was struck by Axelrod’s originality and authenticity. Every song sounded as if it had just been written…for him.” -David Sabella (Chicago, The Visit)
"In making his case for the contributions of great Jewish Composers to musical theater, Axelrod may have also inadvertently made a compelling case for his own contribution to Cabaret.” -David Sabella (Chicago, The Visit)
"As someone who's seen a myriad of Cabaret performances, I have rarely been as transported as I was by Ari Axelrod. Every song was a play I had never seen before, and he connected with his audience in a completely honest and loving manner. An old soul in a beautiful young man." -Alix Korey (Fiddler on the Roof, All Shook Up, Wild Party)
“He is a singing actor with a creamy voice, a sense of humor, and a fine theatrical sense.” -Bart Greenberg (Cabaret Scenes)
“To say that Ari Axelrod is the total package as a cabaret artist would be an understatement.” -Bart Greenberg (Cabaret Scenes)
November 10, 2019 - 3:00 PM
TICKET PRICE SERVICE CHARGE TOTAL PER TICKET $25.00 - General Admission $3.75 + $1 facility fee $29.75 $15.00 - Student $3.00 + $1 facility fee $19.00
METROTIX SALES END:
Phone/Internet: 3 hours prior to show
Fox Box Office: 1 hour prior to show
The venue box office opens 1 hour prior to show.
3224 Locust Street , St. Louis, Missouri 63103
The .ZACK is the Kranzberg Arts Foundation’s new four-story, 40,000-square foot property, developed in the historic Cadillac building at 3224 Locust St. housing:
- The .ZACK Theatre, a 202-seat proscenium-style theatre to be shared by .ZACK’s resident arts organizations as part of the .ZACK Performing Arts Incubator Program which also includes co-op office space, a community scene shop with separate build and paint rooms, and prop/set storage all located in the .ZACK building.
- A full-service catering company and restaurant, Turn by David Kirkland, owned/operated by award-winning local chef David Kirkland (formerly of Café Osage).
- The Urban Ballroom, a fourth-floor, private event space with full-service catering options by David Kirkland Catering. The Urban Ballroom features panoramic views of downtown St. Louis, a customizable layout, and in-house spa, perfect for any event up to 300 people.
- Second floor retail space, the future home of Sophie’s Lounge and Music Record Shop.
- Third floor commercial office space available for rent to a wide range of tenants
.ZACK brings synergy, access, and essential infrastructure for the performing arts community in St. Louis, and will be a venue in which patrons can have a dynamic, 360-degree experience. From theater fans to food and beverage lovers, and those looking to host special events, .ZACK will provide a world class experience for audiences from across the region.
The .ZACK is wheelchair accessible.