“There’s a Flight of the Conchords-style mischief to Bhiman’s writing: a mix of folk oddities, social outrages and sticky black humor.” —Drowned in Sound
The Oxford American magazine is excited to welcome Bhi Bhiman to Little Rock! This is the third show in their 2017-18 Archetypes & Troubadours Series. Doors open at 6:00 PM, with dinner and drinks available for purchase at that time. The series is made possible in part by presenting sponsors Chris Harkins of Raymond James and J. Mark & Christy Davis.
Bhi Bhiman is an American singer/songwriter. His musical style has drawn a diverse range of comparisons from Bill Withers to Woody Guthrie. Bhiman credits his upbringing—the son of immigrants, growing up in suburban St. Louis—as playing an important role in his songwriting. An accomplished guitarist and clever lyricist, it is Bhiman’s unique voice that truly sets him apart. The Washington Post’s Bill Friskics-Warren has said, “What strikes you first about Bhi Bhiman’s music is his voice—a keening, gender-neutral yawp that’s as earthy as it is ethereal, as puckish as it is wise.”
His debut album, BHIMAN, was released to critical acclaim, culminating with a performance on the BBC’s Later…with Jools Holland. There he met Soundgarden front man (and early musical hero) Chris Cornell. Impressed with Bhiman’s performance, Cornell asked him to join his sold out North American tour. Critics and fans praised both his opening set and his feature on songs like “Hungerstrike” and “Like a Stone,” which they performed together each night. Bhi has since performed live on-stage with Soundgarden and has become friends with guitarist Kim Thayil.
Other highlights have included a lauded performance at Carnegie Hall in tribute to Prince. Among featured acts like D’Angelo, Elvis Costello, and The Roots, Bhi’s rendition of “When Doves Cry” was hailed by critics from Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly as “the most memorable performance of the night,” noting “his vocals giving off a haunted air that left the crowd speechless.” Bhi is also enjoying a life behind the scenes, writing with artists like Rhiannon Giddens, The Coup, and Philly rapper STS.
In May 2015, Bhiman released his sophomore album, Rhythm & Reason. The single “Moving to Brussels” debuted on Adult Swim with a hilarious music video; a Whiplash parody starring Keegan-Michael Key of Comedy Central’s Key & Peele. Bhi describes the experience of attempting to improv with Key as “Little Mac going up against Mike Tyson.” The two first met on a live radio show where their chemistry was immediate.
With this mix of humor and social commentary, it makes sense that critics have described Bhi’s music as “equal parts Curtis Mayfield and Richard Pryor.” As a huge fan of both artists, Bhi says, “I’m probably not worthy of such a compliment, but I’ll certainly take it!”
March 15, 2018 - 8:00 PM
$34 = Premium Reserved Table
$32 = Reserved Table
$25 = General Admission
GROUP DISCOUNT: Save 15% when you purchase 15 or more General Admission tickets! (Not valid on reserved table seating)
TICKET PRICE SERVICE CHARGE TOTAL PER TICKET $34.00 $4.00 $38.00 $32.00 $3.75 $35.75 $25.00 $3.00 $28.00
- Becoming a subscriber guarantees the same table for every performance in the series.
- Doors open 2 hours prior to each show.
- Tickets are available for pickup only on the night of the show when doors open.
- The venue does not have an on-site box office. Tickets are only sold via Metrotix, or, on the night of the show when the doors open (if tickets remain.)
- Buying a reserved or premium reserved ticket guarantees you that specific seat. Seating at tables and countertops is "family style." If you do not purchase all the seats at your table, you will be seated with other patrons.
- General Admission Ticketholders - You may sit at stools at the bar, perimeter chairs not at tables, or you may stand. You are not guaranteed a seat, as seating is limited and only available first-come-first-seated when the doors open. Once all General Admission chairs are taken, there will only be standing room for all other General Admission ticketholders.
- South on Main does not take reservations for ticketed concerts.
- Food is served before and throughout the concert.
- Shows are all ages. Everyone must have a ticket to attend.
- Free surface lot parking is available.
- Additional Info: http://southonmain.com/pages/faq-ticketing-seating/
METROTIX SALES END: Noon day of show
South on Main
1304 Main Street , Little Rock, Arkansas 72202