Fred Hersch Trio
The Oxford American magazine is excited to welcome the Fred Hersch Trio to the South on Main stage! This is the third show of their Jazz Sub-Series. The series is made possible in part by presenting sponsor UCA College of Fine Arts & Communication, as well as their season sponsor University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
“An elegant force of musical invention, Fred Hersch can not be discounted in any discussion of the top contemporary jazz pianists.”
Over the course of thirty years and five incarnations, the Fred Hersch Trio has remained at the pinnacle of modern jazz, venerated as the epitome of thrilling interplay and dynamic spontaneity. The Wall Street Journal calls the trio “one of the major ensembles of our time,” while The New Yorker applauds them for playing with “high lyricism and high danger.”
The current trio includes renowned pianist Fred Hersch with bassist John Hébert and drummer Eric McPherson. In less than a decade, the three have released six acclaimed albums, garnering two GRAMMY nominations and countless accolades. The trio was voted #2 Jazz Group in the 2018 DownBeat Critics Poll, which recognized their unique ability to traverse a wide range of styles and approaches while maintaining profound depths of emotion and the exhilarating spark of invention. The trio’s latest release, Live in Europe (Palmetto), has been hailed as their best to date.
Fred Hersch is a pervasively influential creative force who has shaped the course of jazz for more than three decades as an improviser, composer, educator, bandleader, collaborator and recording artist. A twelve-time GRAMMY Award nominee, Hersch has earned an impressive number of the music world’s most prestigious accolades. His memoir, Good Things Happen Slowly, was published in September 2017 by Crown Archetype Books / Random House.
A New Orleans native, John Hébert moved to the New York area in 1993, quickly establishing himself as a highly sought after bassist among such renowned artists as Andrew Hill, Lee Konitz, Paul Bley, John Abercrombie, Kenny Wheeler, Paul Motian, and Maria Schneider. He’s also released two well-received albums with his other trio featuring French pianist Benoit Delbecq and drummer Gerald Cleaver.
A native of New York City, Eric McPherson began studying with master drummer Michael Carvin at the age of twelve. He would go on to study with alto legend Jackie McLean at the University of Hartford’s Hartt School of Music, as well as work and record with the innovative pianist and composer Andrew Hill. Learning from these seminal figures, McPherson has developed a highly personal and creative approach to music.
January 30, 2020 - 8:00 PM
$54 = Premium Reserved Table
$52 = Reserved Table
$35 = General Admission
TICKET PRICE SERVICE CHARGE TOTAL PER TICKET $54.00 $8.00 $62.00 $52.00 $7.75 $59.75 $35.00 $5.25 $40.25
- Becoming a subscriber guarantees the same table for every performance in the series.
- Doors open 2 hours prior to each show.
- Tickets are available for pickup only on the night of the show when doors open.
- The venue does not have an on-site box office. Tickets are only sold via Metrotix, or, on the night of the show when the doors open (if tickets remain.)
- Buying a reserved or premium reserved ticket guarantees you that specific seat. Seating at tables and countertops is "family style." If you do not purchase all the seats at your table, you will be seated with other patrons.
- General Admission Ticketholders - You may sit at stools at the bar, perimeter chairs not at tables, or you may stand. You are not guaranteed a seat, as seating is limited and only available first-come-first-seated when the doors open. Once all General Admission chairs are taken, there will only be standing room for all other General Admission ticketholders.
- South on Main does not take reservations for ticketed concerts.
- Food is served before and throughout the concert.
- Shows are all ages. Everyone must have a ticket to attend.
- Free surface lot parking is available.
- Additional Info: http://southonmain.com/pages/faq-ticketing-seating/
METROTIX SALES END: Noon day of show
South on Main
1304 Main Street , Little Rock, Arkansas 72202