John Moreland (CANCELLED)
John Moreland (CANCELLED)
DateJuly 9, 2020
VenueSouth on Main
Tickets$36, $34, $30
We’re sorry to share that the formerly rescheduled John Moreland show has now been cancelled. We apologize for the inconvenience and will provide full refunds to ticket holders.
Refund will be processed on Tuesday, May 26, and should be reflected on your credit card account within 7-10 business days. If you do not receive the refund of if your card has changed since you made the original purchase, please contact the OA team at [email protected] or by phone at 501-263-0192.
Thank you for rocking and rolling through this with us. We look forward to a time when we can enjoy live music together again.
The OA Team
The Oxford American is proud to present John Moreland with special guest Justin Peter Kinkel-Schuster at South on Main!
Over the last half a dozen years or so, John Moreland’s honesty has stunned us––and stung. Today, his earthbound poetry remains potent, but in addition to his world-weary candor, Moreland’s music smolders with gentle wisdom, flashes of wit and joy, and compassion.
Out February 2020, his latest album, LP5, is a masterful display of songwriting by one of today’s best young practitioners of the art form. The album’s experimentations with instrumentation and sounds capture an artist whose confidence has grown, all without abandoning the hardy roots rock bed and the lyrics-first approach Moreland’s work demands.
When pressed about the hard-won wisdom and peace that seem to define LP5, Moreland is characteristically both direct and humble. “I definitely am wiser than I was five years ago––I guess anybody would hope to be wiser than they were five years ago,” he says with a laugh. “But I do feel more mellow. Settled. I don’t feel as antsy or think I’ve got to prove myself anymore. I feel really comfortable and free to just do what I want to do.”
What does a songwriter who has mined darkness do when he finds a measure of contentment?
This was the challenge that faced Fayetteville, AR songwriter Justin Peter Kinkel-Schuster when writing his new album Take Heart, Take Care. A songwriter who had success with Water Liars and Marie/Lepanto (his collaboration with Will Johnson of Centro-Matic) and has earned acclaim from NPR, Billboard, NY Times, and Paste Magazine now took time to reassess his writing process. Kinkel-Schuster, who everyone calls Pete, says, "I had, more than anything else, good things to say, and ironically I was unsure of how to say them. I'd spent so long yawping at perceived darkness both real and imagined, internal and external, that I was in a sense starting from scratch, learning to express something good in a way that didn’t feel cheap or silly or disingenuous to me."
"It took a long time, relatively speaking,” he says, continuing, “It involved a lot more patience and consistency." He is talking about songwriting but could be talking about the work of showing up for life. He lists the means that helped with the latter, all as if still unfolding: "Learning to stop making the same mistakes over and over. Moving to Arkansas. Meeting my partner. Finding peace and stability at home but being able to keep working. Finding a balance between all of these things. Being sober for a number of years and working on upkeep."
So what does a songwriter do when he finds contentment? He tries to pass on what he knows in hopes of helping the next person.
$36 = Premium Reserved Table
$34 = Reserved Table
$30 = General Admission
|TICKET PRICE||SERVICE CHARGE||TOTAL PER TICKET|
- Doors open at 5pm, show at 7pm.
- Tickets are available for pickup only on the night of the show when doors open.
- The venue does not have an on-site box office. Tickets are only sold via Metrotix, or, on the night of the show when the doors open (if tickets remain.)
- Buying a reserved or premium reserved ticket guarantees you that specific seat. Seating at tables and countertops is "family style." If you do not purchase all the seats at your table, you will be seated with other patrons.
- General Admission Ticketholders - You may sit at stools at the bar, perimeter chairs not at tables, or you may stand. You are not guaranteed a seat, as seating is limited and only available first-come-first-seated when the doors open. Once all General Admission chairs are taken, there will only be standing room for all other General Admission ticketholders.
- South on Main does not take reservations for ticketed concerts.
- Food is served before and throughout the concert.
- Shows are all ages. Everyone must have a ticket to attend.
- Free surface lot parking is available.
- Additional Info: http://southonmain.com/pages/faq-ticketing-seating/
METROTIX SALES END: Noon day of show